01539 433 333

History

'Pull Wood House', as it was originally called, was built in 1891 for Sir William Crossley, as his Lake District residence.  The Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew designed the gardens.  During the Second World War the house was used as a preparatory school for boys and renamed Huyton Hill.

The house, grounds and sailing on Lake Windermere and Coniston Water are thought to have inspired Arthur Ransome to write Swallows and Amazons in 1930. 

The school closed in 1969 and was converted and reopened in 1971 as holiday apartments.  In 2002 Pullwood House was bought by the current owners and, by 2007, together with the Boathouse and Wyke Bay, was comprehensively refurbished to run as a holiday letting business.

In January 2013 planning conditions on the apartments changed and the apartments were put up for sale as second homes with a management and letting service for new owners.

Read more about the history of Pullwood Bay here...